Evening of Japanese Music in Moscow

A good day - I have got to grips with editing the first part of The Fairground Booth  film which has been dogging me for some time now. Managed to re edit the script and add in new material to flesh out some of the weak parts of the beginning. It means I should be able to assign the graphics and other material  to where it should go rather than things slipping away from me as I try and make things work. 

Working a bit with T's material for his book. He asked me to read the article he wrote for a journal and tell him what I thought about it. Just jotting down some notes now as I go through it. Last night attended a concert and film of a Japanese composer Yonekawa Toshiko I, who played and composed for the Koto. Magnificent musician, full of sensitivity and richness of expression, tasteful and emotional. Her daughter is now leading the ensemble which played for us at the Moscow conservatory last night. It is a warm up for the bigger concerts they will give at the Rachmaninoff Hall later. We sat in one of the classrooms.  All the windows were open and as dusk fell I looked out across the Moscow sky which was gently bathing Moscow in a sunset glow of red and green and blues.It was a warm evening with gentle breeze. Listening to the haunting Japanese music of Koto, shakuhachi, samisen and the beautiful voices singing harmony's of some ancient song or hymn, rising, falling like waves on the ocean, soaring between the heavenly and the earthly, between the divine and the human. A magical evening taking us away from the everyday. Plenty of old acquaintances to meet up with although my mood was not very social. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Screening of Tokyo Journey in Moscow

The Old Believers Bell Tower